Subject: Upcoming new ISO directives

From: Steve Lionel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2026 12:54:48 -0400

ISO will be releasing an updated "Directives" document in October - this 
governs pretty much everything an ISO committee does. They released a 
summary of important changes, which I have reviewed. The only change I 
spotted that will require eventual action from us is this:

Change 12: Corrections will now be published as both a corrigendum and a 
corrected version
What’s changing
The correction process is clarified and harmonized.
• Corrections will result in two outputs:
o a corrigendum (listing the corrections)
o a corrected version (integrating the corrections into the document)
• Corrections are limited to fixing errors or ambiguities, not updating 
content

Why this matters to you
• Clearer and more transparent correction process
• Easier for users to understand and apply corrections
• Improved consistency between ISO and IEC publications
What you will need to do
• Continue submitting correction requests as before
• Ensure that corrections are limited to genuine errors or ambiguities 
inadvertently introduced that
could lead to incorrect or unsafe application
Key timing
• October 2026: new rules apply

TBH, I like this change, even though it makes more work for us (us 
meaning Malcolm primarily!)  Edit papers will need to reference the 
latest corrigendum version, not the  originally published version. It 
may make for some confusion when we have both a corrected version and a 
working revision document at the same time, but we'll figure out a way 
to deal with that. Please think about this and we can discuss ideas when 
we meet in June.

Steve