Subject: ISO Directives changes related to meeting types

From: Steve Lionel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2026 17:00:18 -0400

Hello again all,

As a follow-up to my earlier email about the updated ISO directives 
coming out later this year, Makki noticed a change that concerned him 
(rightfully so):

    Change 14: Meeting rules are consolidated and timelines are standardized

    What’s changing
    All meeting-related rules are brought together in a single clause,
    with updated timelines.
    • One consolidated framework for planning, running, and reporting
    meetings
    •Only two meeting formats: face-to-face and virtual
    • Standardized deadlines for agendas, documents, and reporting

One could interpret this as disallowing hybrid meetings, which would be 
a serious problem for WG5, so I asked David Keaton what it meant. He 
replied:

      Every type of meeting that is currently allowed will continue to 
be allowed; they are just changing the names.

      In the new directives, there will be two base types:

    *  Face-to-face, and

    *  Virtual.

    However, the face-to-face type will be subdivided into two categories:

    *  Face-to-face, and

    *  Face-to-face with remote participation.

    The latter is what we have been calling hybrid.

          The rules are that if the meeting is virtual, you have to redo
    a vote if a technology failure prevented someone from participating
    and they request a revote, but if the meeting is face-to-face with
    remote participation, the remote aspect is best-effort, and the
    meeting does not have to make any accommodations for technology
    glitches.

          I'm not sure why they decided to rename things.  I think it
    simplified the text in the new Directives.  In any case, it is only
    a renaming, not a change to what is allowed.

With a big sigh of relief...

Steve